The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) may be able to help you with a one-time payment for your water and/or wastewater (sewer) bill from November – September. The maximum amount you could get is $750.00.
LIHWAP can help with:
- Disconnection or reconnection fees
- Threat of disconnection
- Past due and current bills
You may be eligible for help if you:
- Are responsible for paying the utilities for your home (including if you rent)
- Are a United States citizen (or have been legally admitted for permanent residence)
- Are a Missouri resident
- Have $3,000 or less in your bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments
- Meet or are below the income guidelines for your household size
For more information about eligibility requirements, contact West Central Missouri Community Action Agency at [email protected]
How Do I Apply?
Follow these steps to apply for LIHWAP:
- If you need an application or document mailed to you, call West Central Missouri Community Action Agency at 660-476-2185, or DSS at 855-373-4636.
- To help us process your application faster, please include your email address on your application and attach all necessary documents.
You can apply for LIHWAP two different ways:
- Submit your application and documents online at LIHWAP | mydss.mo.gov ; or
- Submit your printed application by mail, email, or in person to:
West Central Missouri Community Action Agency
112 West 4th Street, Appleton City, MO 64724
Phone: 660-476-3285 Email: [email protected]
- If you rent your home and the water/wastewater bill is in your landlord name, the landlord must complete the Landlord Documentation Request
- They can complete the form in one of two ways:
- Application that is completely filled in, signed, and dated.
- Proof of Social Security Number for everyone in the household. (Such as social security card, award letter, W-2).
- Qualified Alien: Provide Proof of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-5551Permanent Resident Card, Re-entry Permit (a passport booklet for lawful permanent residents), USCIS Form I-94, or a I-94A.
- Copies of utility bills for your water and/or wastewater (sewer). The person listed on the water/ wastewater (sewer) bill must be a member of the household who is age 18 or older.
- Proof of all income (both earned and unearned) from last month for all household members who got it.
- Household members who are active SNAP recipients do not need to provide proof of these incomes.
When Will I Get My Benefit?
Once you submit your application and required documents, your application will be reviewed within approximately 30 business days. A letter will be mailed to you that tells you if you qualify for help and the amount you will get.
- You may get a notice in the mail from the Family Support Division asking for more information so we can complete your LIHWAP application
- To avoid delays, upload the requested information as soon as possible